Wednesday, February 6, 2013

/

Today I rooted the Samsung Galaxy camera. Someone already figured out how to do this, so it made my research process go a lot faster. There are multiple tutorials online for rooting the camera, but the one I found to be the easiest can be found here.

The first thing I did was shut off the camera and downloaded the recovery and cache package, CF-Auto-Root and and flashing tool, Odin3. I then held the Power On + Volume Down + Camera buttons to get the camera to boot to download mode.





Once in download mode, I opened Odin3 and plugged in the camera to my workstation. The ID:COM section will turn yellow when the camera is recognized, which can be seen  below.




Next in the PDA section, I selected the CF-Auto-Root.tar.md5 file and pressed start. When the process was over and the camera was rooted, Odin showed me this:



The camera automatically rebooted and started as normal. I knew the device was rooted because the application SuperSU was found.

I unplugged the camera and then plugged it back in. I opened FTK Imager hoping that the camera would at least be recognized, but it wasn't. I tried to use dd to image the device, but had no luck doing so. DD did not recognize the camera either. Running out of options, I decided to try EnCase 7 to try to acquire the device. EnCase 7 has smartphone acquisition capabilities and obviously Android was an option.



Once the acquisition was complete, I was able to view all the contents of the camera. Now that I know I can acquire the camera, I will start deleting some data to see if I can find it later in EnCase 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment